Wednesday, August 22, 2007

my Watermelon shop of horrors

I'm no Semour, and it's no Venus Fly trap flesh eating plant, but boy does this watermelon grow like crazy. I had no idea it would take over my whole front yard, and just scramble about reach where ever it is allowed, and just grow grow grow. My youngest of my brood waded into the depths of the vines and he was up to his waist in growth! There are hidden watermelons that I've almost stepped on, not knowing they are there... Good thing I guess, I don't want the neighbors stealing my melons! There is one cantaloupe vine in there as well with a few melons on it. Hopefully I will get to eat them, the raccoons took the melons off the vines in the back yard, and the little burrowing caterpillars took the last one I had!
I have to keep moving it off the sidewalk and bunch the vines back onto the main plant, the red speck you see in the middle is the planter with the peppermint growing in it... not that you can tell.
I guess a sago palm is good for crawling watermelons, and there are two baby melons hanging on those vines already.
decent sized melon. But it's shaped like a gourd, I plan on picking it tomorrow, it's got that nice tok tok sound when thumping it. The last one I picked was a little under ripe, but it was getting end rot, so I picked it early. It was still good eatin, and juicy!
can you see it? under the leaves is a large watermelon, at least 7 pounds! The plant hides it's fruit very well, and since the vines take over the yard, any chance of weeding is GONE... but I figure the weeds also allow for some retaining of moisture for the plant, especially since it's been so dry dry dry!


4 comments:

Rachel said...

OH I am SOOO jealous! Nothing better when you are pregnant (or any time really) than a nice juicy watermelon!

Portable Graffiti said...

Donna's pregnant?

Donna said...

Oh no, not me! LOL

Jennifer said...

Nice Melons Donna, LOL

Seriously though, Nice Melons, darnit, I can't help but think dirty thoughts with that comment

hee, hee