Monday, August 13, 2007

Eggplant Parmesan



OHHHH can you smell it, doesn't it look delish? Fresh eggplant from my garden, and basil from my garden as well!

I used the recipe from America's Test Kitchen cook book, and it is a really good way to prepare the eggplant. It was oven fried rather than pan fried, saves in oil and fats, AND you from eating soggy greasy eggplant Parmesan! With the oven frying the breaded eggplant is placed on hot 450 degree pans with only 3 Tablespoons of oil, cooked for 15 minutes and then flipped and cooked for an additional 10 minutes. It's important to cook eggplant completely, or it can give you an upset stomach!

I also made ratatouille with my same eggplant and squash, and tomatoes from the garden, and again, used the America's Test Kitchen book... It was oven roasted ratatouille instead of frying everything it is oven cooked, and then drizzled with EVOO, so good.

I think EVERYONE should buy all the cookbooks from America's Test Kitchen, and tune into that show on PBS every time it is on. I'm a self-proclaimed "foodie" which is what 18 months of culinary school and 7 years of professional cooking will also do to you... and I think ATK is the BEST of the BEST.. practical cooking advice, with products you will find in your local store, AND using basic kitchen tools! Awesome books!

3 comments:

Portable Graffiti said...

That looks so GOOD!!

Jennifer said...

Yummy good! I want to make some Ratatouille, I've never made that before and since we went and seen the movie "Ratatouille", I think I should make it, ha, ha!

Rachel said...

oh that looks so amazingly good!!