Thursday, August 30, 2007

Home Oven Chili Roasting

Home roasting of green chili will fill your home with a wonderful aroma, that is intoxicating. I do not suggest this an activity to do with children, so I had my little guys pick out a movie, and they got "planted" in front of the TV, mainly because roasting is HOT HOT HOT, and even handling the chili will transfer the Capsaicin to them. So washing of hands before handling anything else is necessary! So to start the day my kiddos decided on Cars to be the movie of choice. Wash the chili, not completely necessary, but sometimes a rotten one can be found in the bunch, and there is still dirt and such on the chili, and just want to make it pure, after the washing place them evenly and flatly as possible on a pan, do not crowd them onto the pan. I used two sheet pans for roasting the peppers on.
Get another pan ready for "sweating" the peppers after roasting, this is an important step, deep enough to hold all the peppers you are roasting, and a cover, I'm using a lasagna pan and foil.
Broil the peppers, as close to the broiler as possible, and turn on the light, you will need to watch very closely, as they will blister up rather quickly, when one side is blackening after approximately 2 to 3 minutes, you will need to pull them out and turn them over to roast and blister the other side. I have the second pan to broil in the oven the whole time, allowing the peppers to bake a bit and soften up, you will not need to flip these, just let them stay in the oven.
When the first pan is then all blistered, blackened, and done, switch the pans around, and start the blackening process with the other pan, remembering to turn the peppers after they have blackened on one side, and allow them to get blackened and blistered on both sides, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.
This is how they will look when blackened and blistered properly. They are not burnt, they are perfection. You might get wisps of smoke coming from the oven, and some of the peppers will bloat and pop from the steam building up on the inside. If you hear popping, that is a GOOD sound!
After they are done, transfer the roasted peppers to your sweating pan, and cover, tightly isn't necessary, just enough to hold the heat and steam in. Let them steam or "sweat" for about 30 minutes.
all covered, now you can do some fun stuff with the kids till you are ready to peel the chili
When ready to peel the chili, I have found that using an ice bath is the best way. It cools off the peppers enough to handle, and keeps your hands a little cool and you unaware of the Capsaicin that is digging into your skin. If you are really sensitive, gloves can be used, and are recommended! I have to stop for a minute and say thanks to The Frontier Restaurant( http://www.frontierrestaurant.com/ ) without having worked there for almost three years, I would have never known the special step of peeling green chili. Unbeknowst to many people, most New Mexican's do not roast their own chili.... why? Well it is roasted in such an abundance, they can already purchase it roasted, peeled, and chopped. Sure we can get it that way here in Florida, but it's only in little cans. Canning does something BAD to green chili, it's NOT the same. I used to buy huge Bueno chili http://www.buenofoods.com/ frozen tubs of green chili. They did all the hard work. The Frontier Restaurant roasted their own chili, and in idle hours of the work day, employees would peel the roasted chili. There always was a chili peeling station in the back, my first day of work, I peeled chili for 8 hours!

peeled chili... oh yes, you do need to peel it, it can be peeled prior freezing, or after, but you cannot eat the peel, well you can, but it's tough, and tasteless. The seeds are really hot, and not really good to eat, a few will not do any harm, but I don't care to eat the seeds.
The peels and the seeds. it seems like a lot, and really out of 10 pounds of green chili, the amount of flesh you get to actually eat is probably close to 6 or 7 pounds.
I chopped the chili and placed into bags for freezing. Chili should be frozen. Even though it is quite potent it will go bad, mold and rot, after a few weeks in the fridge. But what kind of moron lets the chili sit in the fridge for that long?
I roasted about 10 pounds of chili, and got about 7 to 8 cups of chopped green chili, I got 5 bags total, each with about 1 to 2 cups of chili
This same process can be used for any chili pepper, red peppers, green peppers, jalapenos, anything. If you want your own roasted red peppers follow the same steps, and you will get the same results with red peppers. I highly suggest this if you find a bunch of red peppers for really cheap... but that's not likely to happen. LOL, but doing it yourself is cheaper than buying roasted red peppers.
I would also like to thank my parents for sending out such a surprisingly abundant amount of chili. What a wonderful gift from New Mexico. I say, you can take the gal out of the Southwest, but you can't take the Southwest out of the gal!

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, I can smell those through the computer screen, YUM! Thanks for the directions, I plan to do this one day!

dreamer said...

I moved to Albuquerque a year ago and can tell you that those big metal chile roasters are working overtime these days. It's harvest time, but I'm reluctant to eat my chiles roasted over roadside propane flames. Your way seems much better, and now that you've taught us how to do it, I will get myself 10 or 20 lbs. of the finest green chiles I can find. I am hopelessly addicted, but usually just open a jar, or a frozen tub of Buenos. You know you're addicted when you eat chiles directly out of a jar with a large spoon. Your photos of those bags of carefully roasted chiles are throwing me into major withdrawal and I must immediately run to Flying Star Cafe for the hottest breakfast burrito they can fix for me. Thanks for sharing the roasting method!

Portable Graffiti said...

Thanks for posting this. I hope to do this someday. They look so awesome. The ones I had in the jar that dolphin spirit sent to me, had black flecks throughout. Maybe they leave some black on for an authentic fresh-roasted appearance.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the posting! I am in Washington state and I have just seen, for the first time in almost 14 years of living here, Hatch chili! I was so excited that I bought two cases, and can't wait to roast some so that we can eat them PRONTO. Your tips will come in handy.

Rachell said...

Thank you so much! The pictures were especially helpful! I followed your process tonight and things came out great! I even did some eggplant I had on hand! But, not to be ignorant, but what do I do will all these spicy roasted chilis? I don't like spicy, so I can only take them in small amounts. Ideas?

NE Fleury said...

I moved from Albuquerque in the 80's, and finally found some real Chili at the store!!! Having eaten at the Frontier A LOT (I lived a block away!!!), it seems right I would find your blog first when it came to remembering how to roast the Wonderful Chili I found!!

And Rachell... Put it on EVERYTHING!!! It has more Vitamin C than an orange, and a little goes a long way... unless you grow up eating it, then it takes a lot!!! :0)

mikiee said...

Thanks for the roasting tips...I grew up in san Diego,now live in Vermont...found some fresh chili peppers in a store & nobody knew what they were...Now the niebors are wondering what that smell is....I am doing it for the 1st annual chili cook off in my town( I set it up) now to educate them on what a good sw chili tastes like ( hint ) try a little vermont map,le syrup in your chili & wow the people in the south west,they wont know what hit them...Mikiee

Unknown said...

This is my first time roasting peppers and the instructions sound great. I'm so excited to get started. Read about Hatch peppers in the newspaper and ran out and bought some. Then, didn't know what to do with them. Thanks for your info.

Portable Graffiti said...

Donna, I STILL have not roasted the chiles in my freezer, but just might do that soon. I came back here to see if you still had the recipe and instructions.

Cherie' said...

I would love to know if you have the reciepe for Golden Pride Green Chili Stew. I grew up on it and have since moved and want to make it!!

Cyndi said...

I tried your recipe, and i didn't realize it would be so simple. I purchased a basket full
From the flea market...thinking how can I eat all these before they go bad. That would be a waste. Anyway I also appreciate the humor in your blog. Thank u for posting and sharing it with the rest of the world.

Carolyn said...

I tried this method over the weekend, and it worked great for me. I only bought a pound of green chile (my local grocery store in Seattle had just received NM Hatch chiles) to try it on--used half of that in a batch of green chile stew, froze the other half. I'll roast more this coming weekend. Thanks for the great tips and photos, made this very easy to do!

Donna said...

I think I might soon post how to dry the green chili.. another great way of preserving it!