Wednesday, July 11, 2007

trimming

I did some major trimming and pruning of the tomatoes today and pulled out three of the plants. They were past their prime, and I have a few more tomato plants with some large green tomatoes still on them, and have decided to leave them till the tomatoes turn a little orange and them pick and pull them out. The tomatoes didn't do quite as well as I had hoped, I really need to plant them earlier next year, and get them out before the bugs and disease set in.
I also pulled out all the dwarf sunflowers and laid them out to dry, and some of the mammoth sunflowers that were ready to dry.
I also pulled out all the corn, and think I will try again in August with the corn, it was really good, sweet, but small, and just not very productive. But I'm not complaining for some good organic sweet corn for about $2.00 and some water...
The squash had to go too. The bugs were eating it up and the heavy rains pelted the leaves like mad and they were rotting on the plant.
I have watermelons curling up the front yard and looking nice, with some small melons on the vines already. I pulled the watermelon in the back yard, it never produced anything, and am going to pull up the cantaloupe as well as the beans, since the raccoons have taken everything on them.
I'm not disappointed at all with the garden mistakes I've made, I feel it's been productive. I need to know more about growing in North Florida, and when to plant what. The sunflowers, tomatoes, onions, peppers, basil, lettuce, carrots, chives, peppermint, beans, and cucumber so far have been a success. I'm hoping nothing takes my cantaloupe in the front yard, or the watermelons. So the front is looking a little haggard, and the grass is getting tall where the vines of the watermelons and cantaloupe are enter twined. It looks like I have a bad weed problem, but I like the inconsistency of it. Makes it more like a regular FL front yard.
Pics to come later.....

1 comment:

Portable Graffiti said...

Can't wait to see the pictures.