Thursday, May 24, 2007

Garden update

It has been requested that I do an update on my garden. It's growing fast, and big, and have found some mistakes, especially when it comes to crowding. Those little plants look like they will have ample room, but as they grow, the problem of more needed room arises.


So later in the year I will do a little better with planning. I have had a battle with some bugs and fungus, and hopefully have it under control now. Picking bugs off the crowded plants proved to be difficult, but capable. I also took one tomato plant out, it just never seemed to do well, it was in one of those "peat pots" that you are supposed to be able to just plant in the ground and it adds "compost" to around your plant... umm nope, it just kept the plant's roots from expanding like they needed. However, the Eggplant that was in the peat pot is doing just fine.

This is my small corn patch, the weeds are growing good around it from all the watering.

Cameron hanging out under the sunflowers, they have grown a bit more since then. A neighbor has a few sunflower plants that are close to 8 feet tall! I don't think ours will get that tall, but they are close to 5 ft, some are at least. Tomato, Tomato, Tomato...... I have quite a few bunches of Tomatos. The one plant that got devoured by bugs is recooping and now has new buds, the other plant I took out had a few, but they were all cracked and wonky... due to the peat pot not allowing adequate moisture.
I also have bell pepper buds, and Eggplant flowers. The medicinal herbs are finally coming up, and I have mint and lavendar growing pretty well! I also planted green beans, zuchinni, cucumbers, and cantalope in the front yard, but they are just mere seedlings now.

I started thinking about how planting "fruiting" anuals in the front yard makes perfect sense.... they are big green, quick growing, flowering plants that look nice, but also provide you with food. Why doesn't everyone do it???

No comments: