Sunday, May 27, 2007

tomato support

I had to create some "fencing" around the tomatoes for support. Two had broken their stakes, and the rest were taller than the stakes I had put in. I read in Organic Gardening to put supports around and then string, rope, or clothesline to help hold up the branches. I choose the clothes line. I didn't want to use those tomatoe cages since they are rather ugly and tall, and would have looked odd in the planter boxes. But I knew something had to be done to aid in support. I must have 30-40 tomatoes already! With the support stakes and the line it was about $30. far cheaper than some other already made supports.

Calendula flower... I seem to have more leaves than flowers though. It is a very pretty little yellow flower. It's right next to the tomoato, the leaves in the picture are tomato plant leaves, with the calendula leaves below.
eggplant blooms, they are really a very pretty shade of purple, maybe lavendar, light purple. this picture the color is a little washed out. But there are more buds ready to emerge!

No comments: